Wednesday, June 3, 2009

1% Well Read Challenge ~ Treasure Island


This is book 2 for me of the 1% Well Read Challenge, and i must admit, i enjoyed it a lot more than Lord of the Flies. Im a little behind, and should really be on book 3 by now, but i read a few books in between that werent on the list...so i havent been completely slacking! :)
I chose Treasure Island for several reasons...the main one being that a previous book i read had some exciting pirate adventures, and i was having so much fun with that, i decided to stay with that theme! Besides, how did i get thru my childhood without reading this book? The story was fun and exciting, but i did find the writing a bit hard to get into sometimes. I tried to read some of it out loud to my daughter and that was a disaster! Once i got into the book, however, the writing didnt seem to bother me as much.
I imagine this would have been rather exciting to read as a child...Jim was definitely a likable character, and his crazy reaction to situations were entertaining as well. But i really enjoyed Long John Silver...what a shady, interesting and fun character he was, by thunder! Always playing the game...always the pirate :) For such a short story, it was filled with lots of excitement, and its obvious that Robert Louis Stevenson was a fan of the tropics, the seas and adventure. His travels helped to tell a thrilling story for folks that, at that time, probably couldnt even dream of those kind of places. A story well worth the read, even if just once!
pieces of eight...pieces of eight...pieces of eight!!! ;)

2 comments:

Lynda said...

How embarassing, as an English graduate (ie. I have a degree in English) I have never read this book. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Susan Elliott said...

I'm adding this one to my list too...don't think I've ever read it...If I have I can't remember!