Friday, February 15, 2008

Black Bear Applique


Here is the latest block for Justin's grandmothers 90th birthday quilt. The sky fabric was given to everyone to incorporate into the block, with the colors leaning towards blues and tans. Its supposed to be our cabin (she originally bought it back in the 50's, and its called the black bear, hence the bear :) It still needs to be signed, with Black Bear Cabin written in the white space above the door, and our names will be written in the windows. I had a little trouble with the block...its paper-pieced, but it was marked as the wrong size, so i had to add an inch to two of the sides to make it the right size for the quilt. I planned to add the bear, so it helped with the space on the side...but i must not have printed the pattern totally to square, because the roof is a little short too :( The bear is my first attempt at applique. Could i have picked a more difficult shape to start with :) I tried thee handworks backbasting tutorial as a bit of a guide, and i learned a lot as i went...in fact, you can probably tell how i improved as i went.(Note the one lame foot) I really enjoyed the hand sewing, so i hope to try more applique in the future.
Ive made some squares for other family members, see here
and here. I have one more block to do for this quilt and then i get to start laying it out to decide what goes where....so stay tuned....im gonna need some opinions :)
thanks for stopping by :)
lisajo

8 comments:

AmyB said...

That block is fantastic -- I'm impressed!

black bear cabin said...

thank you amy...i was a little worried it was too wonky in places...but thats what gives a quilt its charm, right :)
thanks for visiting!
lisajo

loulee said...

Great block.

Sheri said...

Very nice block. I've been working on a quilt with cabins and bears too:)
Sheri

Chrisitine said...

looks great! very impressed, can't wait to see what you create next!
love ya
Christy

Chemical Robotiks said...

you must love California's flag

black bear cabin said...

Well, i grew up in Los Angeles, so perhaps my subconscious took over ;)

Christine Thresh said...

That is a really cute block. The bear looks good to me.