Friday, June 15, 2012

High Park Fire

Here is the most updated map i could find of the High Park Fire.  Our home is east of the fire, and isnt on the map, but we are about 9 miles from the fire.  We have been working fire mitigation on the property, clearing out dead pine needles and leaves around the house, trimming tall grasses and bushes around the house, and mowing all grasses on the property, as well as diligently soaking everything.  Most of the roads around us are blocked, but we can still get in and out for now...though with all the evacuations going on in other areas, we are hesitant to leave for fear we wont be let back in. 
Its all very frustrating, we cant really do anything, and we cant really leave...so we are sort of just watching, waiting and hoping.  I have no desire to work on anything, i dont want to drag out quilt projects, painting projects or even garden for the uncertainty of what may be around the corner.  With each day, more and more firefighters are arriving to battle the fire which makes me hopeful, and most of the damage was done the first two days of the fire when there wasnt nearly as many resources on it, however, its all mentally and physically exhausting.  I feel bad for even complaining knowing all those families who have lost their homes, and i know we are very lucky having advance notice and our home is still standing, but it is still wearing on me.  I can sense the stress in everyone else up here too, so its not just me.  We are all trying to stay positive though, and i guess thats all you can do.

7 comments:

Marie Alton said...

Hi Lisa ... It sounds like you all are in a stste of turmoil right now ... I'd be anxious in your shoes ... no wonder Jordyn is.

Stay safe ... Hopes & prayers to you!

Hugs ... Marie

Andrea said...

I just can't imagine the stress you're going through right now - hoping and praying all the worry is over very soon for you xxx

Lynda said...

I can't imagine what it's like, waiting to see if your home is going to go up in flames. The stress and uncertainly must be awful. Let's hope all the resources being pulled together solve the problem.

Clare said...

Thinking of you. Keep safe.

Nik said...

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Thinking of you in wet and windy England.

Wilma Lee said...

Thinking of you....

Ginger said...

I can't even begin to imagine how scary this must be. I wish we could send you some of our rain! Hoping & praying that the fire is soon under control.