Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Embroidery, Butterflies and Spiders, oh my!


I started this last January, so its only fitting i finish it this January...just in time to give to my Aunt for her birthday. These squares were found in a closet after my Grandmother passed away, and they were made by my Great Grandmother. My Aunt gave them to me several years ago when i discovered quilting, hoping i could use them, or do something with them. Well, here they are...several years later, and finally complete. Actually, i was given an entire bag of mismatched squares, so i hope to make a little something for all the Westrope women :)

I was able to guesstimate the age of these quilt squares by a set that was sewn with Davy Crockett fabric (all in the same pattern). The quilt squares are sewn by hand, and rather crooked, so it was difficult to square up. I added the embroidery to help strengthen the seams, and to try my hand at embroidery...and i loved it! I think ive found a new addiction! Anyways, this is officially my first finished project for 2009! Off to a great start i think :)

While in Denver this last weekend, we went to the Butterfly Pavilion with my cousin Christy (Jordyns Godmom). The last time i was there, was with my nephew when he was 7 (he turns 19 in March)...so needless to say, its been a while.
They've added some cool new things, like this etching table...

and lots of giant things to climb on and explore...

and a room filled with bugs, bees, spiders and more...

and of course, there's the fabulous butterfly pavilion itself!
There were beautiful butterflies everywhere...

and we were even lucky enough to be visited by a few!

Of course, the funniest part for Jordyn was when this guy landed on mommy...

Is that a perfect perch or what?!? :)
But her favorite part, was holding Rosie...
(warning...not for arachnophobes!)

A fabulous visit with family and friends, and a great way to shake off cabin fever! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

AmyB said...

What an inspired project! That's a fabulous way to honor your great grandmother and share her love and yours for quilting with the other women in your family.

Salem Stitcher said...

Your embroidery is beautiful! I love the flowers you added with the feather stitch.

And your daughter with the spider... she just kept sticking her hand out there to hold her. She's a brave girl!

Karen said...

I am so glad you made something with your grandmother's blocks. And the added embroidery is beautiful! What a wonderful gift for a family member.

loulee said...

What a wonderful project, a great way to keep memories alive.

Looks fabulous. I love butterflies, but you can keep the spiders.

Unknown said...

You have made a beautiful job of turning a little piece of fanily history into something very special indeed

Anonymous said...

Great quilt..enriched with so much history!

Looks like you had a good day out...love the butterfly on your nose pic! LOL

Sheri said...

What a great project. I love it too.
I have two quilt tops that my late DMIL started years ago. I know one was started in 1935 and I think the other one in about 1941, Your post has motivated me to get working on them.
As usual the pictures of Jordyn are adorable.

Tammy said...

SOOOO Beautiful, you have really made a special gift. And your daughter - she is do darn cute!!

Lynda said...

How lovely to have some patchwork which has been handed down in your family! Despite the fact that my grandmother was a atailoress, she only haded down knitting and crocket things. (Actually, it may have been BECAUSE she was a tailoress that she didn't do much sewing in later life!)

Susan Elliott said...

Your embroidery is beautiful. I think you're a natural! Of course, I'm not surprised. I've never visited a butterfly pavilion but I hear if you wear an orange shirt, lots of butterflies will land on you. Love the one that landed on your nose!! xoxo Susan