Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bat Rescue....


Earlier this week we received a call from Jordyn's Grandma, our neighbor...who needed help with something in the yard. She is a huge animal lover, and her entire yard is dedicated to feeding and sheltering all the woodland creatures :) Anyways, she found this little guy...soaking wet, cold, and practically laying on the ground. Justin went up to help her, and brought him by the black bear for a visit. Look how furry he is...i never knew they had so much hair! Jordyn seemed to really take to him and kept calling him Stellaluna (like the little bat in one of her stories). Anyways, we deduced that he was probably knocked out or escaped a predator...landed on her roof...slid into the rain gutter and down into the rain bucket...where she was found soaking went on the ground beside it. We brought it inside, let him get warm and dry, and then set him on the perch of one of her numerous birdhouses, which he happily climbed into for the night. By morning he was gone.

5 comments:

Salem Stitcher said...

That's a lucky little bat. Most folks would freak out. But really, they are good little guys to have around.

Plus they are kinda cute and fuzzy.

Tammy said...

How cool is that. I've never seen one in person. I think it's so awesome that your daughter gets to see and learn about all animals and learn to appreciate them. Thanks for sharing that!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to help this guy out...it's a great feeling when you get these little moments to help a little creature.

AmyB said...

I *SO* did not need to see pictures of that today... This evening, I have to go to the venue where a bat was spotted flying around during our last concert :) The last one I saw in my house was hairy like yours... And he was supposed to have been hibernating, too.

Wilma Lee said...

I know bats are goo things, but they are still gross, lol. I feel the same way about snakes. Your child is brave.