Monday, October 20, 2008

Photographing A Two Year Old

Its that time of year again...the annual portraits of my daughter in her Halloween costume. We take our holiday seriously, so no ordinary photos will do :) But photographing a two year old is no easy feat!

Of course, the first challenge is to get them into their costume...no, no Jordyn, leave your hat on...dont take off your tights...stop pulling your dress up...hold still, i need to get your shoes on...hurry up, we're going to miss the good light (okay, this is every photographers challenge).

The next thing is to get their attention...keep their attention...and get them to smile! No, Jorydn, stop spitting, smile for mommy...please....hey...look over here...smile...yoohoo! Finger snapping is sometimes a good technique! Yelling, however, is not.....

okay sweetie...im sorry, just look over here...you look so pretty...come on baby...cheese! smile! over here....

no...dont take your hat off...leave it on...c'mon Jordyn, look over here...hey, where are you going...

okay Jordyn, stop looking at the cat and look over here...hey, ive got an idea...lets call the kitty over here for a shot...come here Lump...come on kitty kitty...

okay, Lump...stay still...Jordyn stay still...hey you guys, look over here....
(great, now im herding cats)

okay, maybe some fun time to lighten the mood...as im not sure i got "the" shot yet, and she has way to much balled up energy! Spin Jordyn, spin! Weeeeeee!

Okay, how about we climb up here on these logs...c'mon Jordyn, you looks so cute..."mommy down...mommy down"....wait just a second, i almost got it, the light is great....no Jordyn, hold still...all right, fine...then sit here with this pumpkin!

No,i said sit still...why are you crying (probably because her moms a psycho)...hey, its okay kiddo...look up at mommy...c'mon...stop crying...please! Okay, fine, while you settle down ill take a photo of your pumpkin.

Only a few more...im almost done...hey....where are you going...get back over here!
I mean it!

After 200 photos and much frustration (for both of us), i am happy to report i did finally get a decent shot!

Dont ya just love the holidays!
My Little Witch :)

11 comments:

Marie Alton said...

Hahahahaha...been there...done that! Two year olds are a challenge...especially when you want them to co-operate...she's a doll at any rate!

I have this fabulous pic of Melanie when she was about 5...she was a clown that year...but her face was anything but happy!

Andrea said...

Great stuff - brought a big smile to my face.

loulee said...

What is it they say about children and animals? LOL
Personally I think the one right at the top of the page, whith Jordyn and Lump turning their backs and running away is the 'perfect shot'. It looks very natural!

Susan Elliott said...

Way to brighten my morning! Oh, how I laughed...I'm partial to the first pic where the witch is giving a raspberry....

Amy a.k.a. dragonryder4 said...

Oh my how cute she is in her outfit :) I rember my kids being little like that and trying to get "the" shot :)
Hugs,
Amy

AmyB said...

The narrative definitely enhances the photos! My favorite, though, is the cat and the hat pic... of course, I'm partial to black cats :)

Anonymous said...

What fantastic pictures...with your new template and all it is incredibly festive! I love you new banner!!

Gina said...

Beautiful pictures. And the commentary brought a few chuckles

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Sheri said...

Great pictures and narrative! What a adorable little witch!
Sheri

Ginger said...

Oh Wow! Those are really cute pictures and I love the commentary - it's like I'm there with you. I always look to see if you have changed your top picture, they're always so interesting and really cute (when Jordyn is in them). I like the top one best for your halloween shot - it looks natural, like a little witch and her black cat looking for something to put in the cauldron!

Lynda said...

You got more than one decoent shot! They are all great, and made me smile!