Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wildflower Wednesday


These are some of my absolute favorite wildflowers...Shooting Stars! I discovered these on one of my first trips up here, and sketched them in my sketch book so that i could look them up later. It took me a while to figure out what they were, and sadly, they never grew back in the place i originally found them. Then about 3 years later, i discovered them on the south side of the island in a nice sandy spot along the river, and they spring up there every year. These delicate little flowers grow straight up on a very thin stalk, and i find it amazing that such tiny flowers can survive in the wild the way they do. Arent they gorgeous!

These are called Yellow Sweet Clover, and we have bushes of them growing along the driveway and ditch.

Horsemint grows on the island, but they are blooming in large batches all over this year. This flower is very interesting close up and also one of my favorites!
Hope you have enjoyed this weeks Wildflowers :)

1 comment:

Salem Stitcher said...

I love the Shooting Stars too. I have yet to see any wildflowers on Wildflower Wednesday that I see here in NC. It's amazing.