Friday, March 13, 2009

Lord of the Flies ~


Book One of the 1% Well Read Challenge: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
I had a hard time getting into this book and was nearly halfway thru when it finally caught my interest.(i was about to give up, but its such a short book, and a "classic", that i trudged on). Not sure if it was the writing style, or the story itself, but it did finally pick up and become exciting. Against many other reviews, i found Golding's descriptive detail a little tiresome and windy...and often found my mind wandering when he rambled on in this way. (perhaps its my short attention span...who knows :)
I did find myself wondering what the outcome would have been, had they been a bunch of girls on the island instead. It was only too obvious what was going to happen...given a bunch of prepubescent boys running wild on an island...sad, but not surprising. It would be interesting to see how a bunch of girls would have fared in the same situation.
Im sad to say, that once the kids started to turn savage, i finally became interested in the story. Up until that point, it seems all the kids were busy picking on the lazy "fat" kid, Piggy...and i didnt care for their cruelty...but i suppose that was all part of the story and the symbolism.
In the end, im glad i finally read this book, though i will happily pass it on, with no plans to ever read it again.

Not much to show on the quilting arena. Im working on a memory quilt for Jordyn's Great Grandma, and unfortunately, not all of the family members read the instructions right, so i am now stuck with 7 squares that are 1/2" to small, so i will have to make borders for all of those. I also had to square up the rest of the squares, as anyone who has worked with quilts sewn in many different hands, knows how different they can all be. But once the new borders are on, i can continue...just nothing worth photographing...so i leave you with something i believe is worth photographing...Jordyn and Daddy playing on the ice ~

Have a Fabulous Weekend!

6 comments:

Salem Stitcher said...

I remember reading Lord of the Flies in high school and not liking it at all. The imagery I conjured in my mind of the boys turning on the fat boy and the ultimate outcome was disturbing to me. Like you, I don't ever have to read it again.

Love the photo. You all live in a beautiful place!

Clare said...

I read it at school too and conjured up the most horrific scenes in my head when they killed Piggy. Haven't read it since and don't intend to.

nevadanista said...

I was looking at your lovely pics on FB :) I didn't realize you lived in Colorado in a cabin. Looks fabulous! Then I noticed your blog. And that you love quilting (I've always wanted to quilt), and that you love photography. Who knew we'd all end up in such with such varied interests in in such different places? Anyway, I'm a fellow blogger as well :) I'm going to check out your blog a little more later. It looks great!

Cheers, Rachel Moore Hamrick

Lynda said...

It's a long time since I read 'Lord of the Flies' (and thoroughly enjoyed it) but I'm with you on the description thing. These days I want to know what's happened and am finding my latest Book Group title 'The Grapes of Wrath' rather wordy too. I've only read a few chapters, so far, so I'll let you know how I get on. Is it on the 1% list?

The Calico Cat said...

I too had a hard time with that one. I remember "getting" the part about the twins... (I didn't always "get" why this or that was written. I am still kind of convinced that our teachers were reading into the books & the authors were just penning a good tale.)

Susan Elliott said...

Congrats on your first book finished. I'm not so sure that girls would have been too much better...they would have harassed Piggy to death until she went off to die alone or killed herself from their torment. This is not a very uplifting thought, I know, but girls that age can be brutal...