Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Passport to Paris in Denver ~

 There was a wonderful exhibit at the Denver Art Museum that i wanted to see, Passport to Paris...so i cruised down to Denver to spend a little time with my family while enjoying art.  This is probably only the second time ive gone down to Denver solo, Jordyn usually comes with me, but she had her own adventure going on, so off i went. 
 The weather was a little cold, but the sun was shining and there were no crowds, so it was a great day in the city!  I went to the museum with two of my favorite people, my Aunt Gwen and of course, my cousin Christy.
 We spent over 2 hours enjoying the exhibit!  There were 125 pieces, paintings and drawings, and i was surprised to see this one in there.  I love this painting of Monet in his garden painted by Renoir, and i have a copy of it in my kitchen, so i was delighted to see the original!
Another exhibit we enjoyed was Thomas Moran's Yellowstone: A Project for the Nation.  When i lived in Idaho, i would often go to Yellowstone, and i absolutely loved Moran's work depicting Yellowstone's beauty.  In fact, there is a small museum in the Mammoth Hot Springs area with examples of his work, his easel and his tools, so i was excited to see these pieces in person.  His delicate watercolors are full of wonderful colors...so lovely to look at, and they take me back to my many adventures in Yellowstone.

 
 On museum days, we have a tradition... after all that walking around, we head on over to the Pub (Pints Pub) for some house-made crisps and cocktails. 
 Christy and i have been coming here for almost 20 years and we love this place!  I know folks come here for the single malt and the ale's, but i prefer the bloody marys (as does Christy). After a full day in the city, we decided to head home and call it a day...we were all pooped!  :)
 It was great to spend time relaxing with my best friend.  We talked for hours, enjoying wine, sharing stories with laughter and tears and just being there for each other. 
 My cousin is having a rough time right now, her father, my Uncle Lynn, was diagnosed with terminal cancer about 4 months ago, and we are all devistated.  I walked in her shoes over 10 years ago, when i watched my father go through a similar battle, and she helped me through those rough times, so i know what she is going through, and want to be there for her too.  I love you Christy!
 While i was in Denver, i did get to visit with my Uncle Lynn a bit...he stopped by and brought us breakfast.  He's between chemo treatments right now, so he was looking and feeling good.  His last two treatments will be in January, and we are happy that his treatments are almost done.  I love you Uncle Lynn!

1 comment:

Chrisitine said...

It was a wonderful weekend with you. I'm grateful to have you to talk to, and to understand what I am going through right now. I love you 'Cous.