Sunday, May 27, 2012

We LOVE Mexican Food ~

We absolutely LOVE Mexican food!  I make it for breakfast, lunch and dinner often, so i was thrilled when i found this recipe on allrecipes.com!  I can remember sending my sister cans of refried beans and other Mexican food products when she lived in New York, where it was almost impossible to find.  Shipping a box filled with canned beans was rather expensive, so i wish i had had this recipe back then!  Anyways, for those of you that cant find a lot of good Mexican food in your area, or just love to make food in your crock pot...give this a try....these beans are awesome!  :)   Some changes i make...i use a box of low sodium chicken broth (about 4 cups) in place of some of the water...i also add paprika and chili powder and cut the salt to about 2 teaspoons instead of 5....the recipe calls for 3 cups of pinto beans, but a bag usually has about 4 cups in it, so i dump the whole bag in and adjust the spices accordingly....and for a little extra flavor, i add about a half a small bag of precooked bacon pieces.  This is a healthy (if you dont add the bacon) and delicious recipe...Enjoy!  :)

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I love mexican food and I love refried beans, but I often stir clear of them because they are so fattening, but making them myself I can make them like this and then I'll know what is in them. Thanks for sharing!!

Country Whispers said...

Mexican is my absolute favorite meal. I'll have to give this a try!