Well, here it is...only my second quilt completed for the year, but im soooo glad its finished! This mini quilt is made out of my grandfathers ties (looks like someone retired in the 70's) :) hehehe
I have never worked with ties before, and they were a bit of a challenge. So many different textures...slippery silks vs course thick polyester...lots of fraying...and of course, they were all difficult to keep straight (which made it a little tough to keep it totally square). I did a few things differently than i normally would...i hand tied it instead of quilting it...so its a "tied" tie quilt...i also stitched down the binding by machine...i wanted it to have a more finished "suit" look, and i was in a hurry to get the thing put together before any more of the fabrics started fraying :)
But, its finished, and i think it came out rather fun. I think my mom will enjoy looking at all of her fathers old ties and perhaps it will stir some fond memories for her. Besides, that's what these kind of gifts are all about! Her birthday is in December, so im taking a chance posting it early...but she never checks my blog, so i think it will be okay to post early :) Happy Early Birthday Mom ~
Its a beautiful snowy day out right now...a perfect day to keep cozy inside! Cheers ~


5 comments:
It's great and I bet your mum will love it. A lady from my quilt group was asked to make a king size quilt with some ties -her friends husband had passed away and she wanted a quilt made for her son. She made a good job of it but she said - never again - lol xxx
Looks fab and you did a great job keeping all those ties in check :o) I have tried working with ties before and it is no easy feat.
Love the patterns and colours...definitely a 70's feel.
I often think about making a tie quilt. I think you just talked me out of it! LOL
It's a nice memory quilt idea though.
Hi Lisa! Just thought i would stop by and see what you are up to. I love your quilt and what an awesome thing to do with the ties. You will always remember the person so well , and what a great daily reminder. It is just beautiful. Have a great day, and enjoy the snow for me. I miss snow so much in Texas. Jeanne
Eddie had some fabulous ties! It really turned out great and I know she will cherish it.
Post a Comment